Report of the meeting at the Salita of January 1st

You never know what will happen when you arrive in Turkey... This is what I repeated to myself before leaving... "don't think of anything" "don't try to plan anything" because no, things don't happen like that in Turkey.
So I arrived very joyful, very happy to be there but without a clear image of what would happen...

Csefko and Huseyin came to pick me up at the airport and their tales of the preceding days allowed me to quickly enter the atmosphere that was being created in the Salita the days before. In the meantime, Federica, Yuksel and Juli where fixing the Salita and preparing food for everyone. Canan, Arzu, Genghis and Savas were there... I couldn't have imagined it: everyone was very happy and with lots of wishes to participate!

I was very thankful of meeting Canan again and we started these very strange conversations where she doesn't speak English and I don't speak Turkish but we seem to understand each other...

Then I started talking to Arzu, a girl Judit met during her last visit and who seemed very much at ease at the Salita. She told me she works as a Spanish teacher in Istanbul and I asked her how the work opportunities were in this area. She told me it is very easy to find a job as a language teacher or translator and that she could help me if I wanted to work there... As a matter of fact, I had left Istanbul two months before with a very clear asking about the opportunity of moving there and I had found an answer as soon as I was back! I had only been in Turkey for a couple of hours and I was already completely destabilized because it seemed like time had not passed!

The night went very well. We ate together in a very lighthearted atmosphere and then we all went to the kitchen to watch Csefko and Juli make pancakes for everyone.

A while later, Alessandra and Saverio joined the group while Canan started teaching Csefko and Federica to dance, so shortly the Salita transformed again.

Arzu and Savas left before we started the ceremonies but by their looks and comments they seemd very happy and wanting to come back.

We did some very beautiful ceremonies which Huseyin and Yuksel read in Turkish and then we stayed with Canan who wanted to stay with us to comment some experiences she had. So, just this first night seemed to me longer than many days of ordinary life in my country!

Manuela

No comments:

Post a Comment